If you have an automatic garage door, then you likely have one of 3 different types of garage door openers. In general, you’ll have a belt or chain drive, or a jackshaft. Each of these types of openers are used for different reasons.
Here’s a look at what you can choose from if you are getting a new part.
1. Chain Drive Opener
A chain drive opener uses a chain to pull the door open. It is made from metal and is long lasting. Here are some of the benefits of getting a chain drive:
- Strong- since the chain is so strong, it can lift 2 garage doors at one time.
- Price point- for the most part, this type of opener is the most economical.
- In stock- since this is such a common part, it is available pretty much anywhere.
- Long lasting- chain drives tend to be longer lasting because the material that makes up the pull.
These are some of the reasons that our customers chose the chain drive over other types of openers.
2. Belt Drive Opener
The belt drive operates the same as the chain drive, only it has a belt that pulls the door open. There are a few advantages of using this over the chain. These advantages include:
- Less noise- if you have a bonus room above your garage, then you’ll likely appreciate that this opener doesn’t make the door function as loud.
- Faster- belt driven openers can lift an average weight garage door faster than a chain.
- Simple to install- it doesn’t take as much to install a new belt on your opener if it breaks.
- Not as much maintenance- this is a low maintenance option for your garage. It doesn’t require lubrication like a metal part.
Depending on your garage door, this might be a good option. It is important to note that it is not as strong as a metal part, meaning it may not be able to lift heavier doors.
3. Jackshaft Opener
The jackshaft opener is a newer assembly on the market. It sits on the side of the garage door, rather than above it. These are a few of the reasons that our customers have this installed:
- Openers taller doors- the jackshaft can open garage doors that are 14 feet high.
- Best for high ceilings- if the ceiling in your garage is very tall, you need an opener that doesn’t have to be plugged into the ceiling.
- Heavy lifting- since this part is made to open heavier doors, you can use it for any material on the market. Whether you have wood, metal, or any other type of heavy door, it will work.
Depending on your needs, this might be the best option for you.
Which Opener is Right For You?
Our technician can come out and look at your garage door assembly. They will determine if they can repair your existing opener. If not, they will talk with you about a replacement.
Be sure to tell the tech what you need the door to do. They can give you a suggestion on which type of opener to go with. Once they know what you want them to install, they will get the part replaced right away.
Call Now For a New Opener
If you need to have your part replaced, call us right away. We have a team of professionals that can answer your call right now. Our phone staff will get someone out to your location as soon as possible.