Neighborhood Garage Door Services of Dayton, Ohio believes in safety first for our customers and community. We share tips and techniques for simple at home tests to ensure that garage doors are used in a way that is safe for the households of the Dayton area.
While garages are a major asset to your home, please proceed with caution when they are in use. Often people neglect to test their garage door opener for safety. Believe it or not, this is important and so simple to do on your own at home.
In order to avoid risk of injury and damage to your door, be sure that your door is balanced and that your garage door opener is working properly. The simple steps for basic, routine maintenance of your garage door are below.
Step 1: Check the Balance of your Garage Door
It’s essential to know whether or not your door and springs should be adjusted by a professional company. Neighborhood Garage Door Services of Dayton, Ohio provides such services but we want to equip you to test it “in house” before you call us.
The five steps for this test include:
- Pull the release cord which will disconnect the garage door.
- Lower your garage door by hand and stop when it’s as low as your waist.
- Let go of the door at this point.
- Now you have two options that may occur and need to be considered. If the door dropped on its own then an adjustment is necessary. However, if your garage door goes back up then the springs are too tight. You’ll want to have either situation corrected.
- The best case scenario is if the door didn’t move. If your garage door stayed at your waist, then no further maintenance is required and your test is complete. Contact a professional if you need an adjustment. We’d love to help and service any of your garage door needs.
Step 2: Check your Garage Door Opener
After you complete your balance check, you will want to test your door opener. If your opener was manufactured after 1992 then this test will work just fine. In the event that you have a garage door opener that’s older than 1992, then you need to buy a new one so that it’s compliant with the current safety standards.
The four simple steps to check your opener include:
- Double check the manufacture date for your product.
- Open your garage door if isn’t already.
- Put a stick or flat piece of wood on the floor near the door’s center.
- Close the door using your garage door opener. The moment the door closes on the wood, it should revert back upward immediately. If it does not then you have a safety issue.
Your options to remedy this hazardous situation are as follows:
Consider having your opener looked at and the settings adjusted.
Replace your opener with a safer model.
Neighborhood Garage Door Services of Dayton, Ohio wants to equip our customers with both safety tips and quality service. Garage door safety is one of our top priorities and we’d love to answer any of your questions.