Some of our customers don’t realize you can replace a garage door window. However, if your window breaks, you are able to remove the old glass and install a new panel. If you need to make this garage door repair, here are the things you will need to do.
Purchase The Replacement Window
The first thing you will need to do is to get in the replacement window. Look on your garage door for the manufacturer and model number. This will help you to find the part number you need to order.
If you have the owner’s manual for your door, you can look inside to find the part number. Otherwise, you can contact the manufacturer to place an order. You may be able to order the part online. It should ship straight to your house.
How to Remove the Window
Before you put in the new window, you must remove the old one. Here are the steps to take to remove the glass:
- Unscrew the screws and set aside
- Have a helper push the frame from the opposite side
- The frame and glass will all go together
After you have the glass out you will need to prepare the replacement.
- Put the new frame and window unit on a piece of wood with the wide side facing up
- Put the template on the window
- Align the guide marks
- Use tape to secure the frame
- Use a power drill to use drill holes through the template
Once the pilot holes are drilled, you can go ahead and install it into the garage door.
How to Install The New Window
After you have done all of the preparation, you can start the process of installing a new window. Here are the instructions you should follow to install the new window:
- Use a putty knife to straighten the tabs that hold the edge of the glass in place
- Cut the caulking at the edges using a utility knife
- Take the glass out of the opening
- Remove the extra caulking
- Apply a new bead of caulking around the opening
- Push the new panel in place
After you have completed all of these steps, your new window should be installed. Give it time to dry before putting any pressure on the frame. It is best to do this on a day when rain is not in the forecast. You need to give the caulk 24 hours to dry.
Call Today For New Windows
If you need to replace a garage door window, our technicians are able to help you. They have the ability to come out, determine which window you need, and then make the installation. If this is not a job you can manage, we can help you.
Call now so we can get one of our professionals out to your home. We are happy to help you.