Many people love the look and style of wood garage doors. Our technicians install this type of door regularly for our customers. There are many great reasons to choose this style, but also there are a few reasons that might keep you from wanting to install wood.
Here are the pros and cons of choosing a wood garage door.
The Pros of a Wood Garage Door
There are many reasons that our customers choose wood for their new garage doors. Here are some of the top benefits of this type of material:
- Very strong- a garage door made from wood is able to be hit without denting like a steel door. It is very strong and can withstand some damage.
- It’s a green option- a wood door is environmentally friendly. Some companies make their wood doors from recycled content.
- Customizable- there are many options you can choose from when designing your wood door. You can go with a range of colors and panel designs.
- Long lasting- this is a material that will last for years to come. Many of our customers like the durability of this type of garage door.
Overall, customers love the look of wood garage doors. It could make a great option for your home.
The Cons of Wood Garage Doors
If you are seriously looking at installing a wood garage door, there are some things to take note of. These may be deal breakers for you. The cons of this type of material include:
- The cost- wood usually costs more than other materials like steel and vinyl. This is pretty much true anytime you are buying a higher quality product.
- Maintenance– unfortunately, maintenance is a drawback for this type of door. It will need to be re-finished on occasion. Also, the bolts tend to come loose during regular operations.
- Insulation problems- wood is not the best insulator, which is the case for other materials like steel. The problem is that it doesn’t have the ability to be insulated like other options.
- Swelling and warping- like any wood door, this material is susceptible to swelling and warping when there is a lot of moisture in the air. This can cause a lot of problems with the functioning of the door. If you live in an area where there is often standing water near your house, a wooden door may not be the best option for you.
These are concerns that you’ll have to take into account when deciding if you want to choose this type of door.
Call Us For an Installation
If you are interested in having a wood garage door installed in your home, we can help you. Call us today and let one of our technicians come out to handle the work for you. It is best to have a professional make the installation. A bad installation can cause damage to your garage door assembly.
We will send a technician out to look at your home and discuss with you the installation. They will answer all of your questions so you can feel confident about your buying decision. Call us today so we can take care of your installation.