Your garage door is made up of many working parts that have to stay well maintained for your door to work. When one of those parts such as the rollers, stops working, then you will need to replace it. When you’re ready to replace your garage door rollers, give us a call.
How to Know When to Replace Your Garage Door Rollers
Rollers are the parts on the door that allow the door to roll up and down the track. Most of the time, these rollers are made out of nylon or plastic. There are a few ways for you to know whether or not the rollers need to be replaced:
- Visible wear to the roller- you can expect some amount of wear to be seen on the roller, but if it is particularly worn on one side, then it is time to change it.
- Roller pops off- another indication that your rollers need to be replaced is when the roller pops off the track. If it can no longer stay in place, then it has worn down too much.
- Rust is present- rollers that have metal rods or are made from metal can have rust formed on the outside. If you see the presence of rust, then you need to make the change.
- Door will not move- if the door will not even move when you have the emergency release cord pulled, then it could be a problem with the door.
If you still aren’t sure whether or not your rollers need to be changed, then one of our technicians can help you. They will come out and inspect your assembly. You can expect an honest evaluation from them.
Supplies You Need to Replace Rollers
In order to replace your rollers, there are a few things you will need to gather for your supplies. These include:
- New rollers
- Flathead screwdriver
- Someone to help you
Once you gather all of your things up, you can get started on the project. We suggest that you purchase rust resistant rollers. That is what we always use for our parts replacements. Otherwise, you may end up with needing to replace them again soon.
How to Make The Repair
When you are ready to make the replacement, you will take these steps.
- Open your garage door.
- IMPORTANT! Place clamps on the track ⅔ of the way up the door opening. This is for your safety.
- Pull on the emergency cord to release it.
- Go ahead and unplug your opener just to be safe.
- Use the pliers to gently bend the track. This will be so you can get the rollers out.
- Use the flathead screwdriver to pry out the roller.
- Take out the old roller and slide in the new one. Replace one roller at a time.
- You’ll need to bend the track back once all rollers are replaced.
It is very important that you have someone with you to make sure that you are safe. We don’t recommend you make these repairs if you don’t know what you are doing because the door can fall. Never stand under the door to work on it.
Call Us For Repairs
We have a team of technicians that are able to make your roller repair. If you need a new part, we will send someone out to help you. Don’t hesitate to call. We’ve got repair techs in your neighborhood.